Sunday, May 15, 2011
Symmetry and Spinal Health
Stand in front of the mirror and assess your symmetry. First, close your eyes and march on the spot for 2 or 3 seconds. Now stop marching, put your feet shoulder width apart and check the following:
1. Is your head shifted to one side?
2. Are your ears level? Can you see both ears equally?
3. Are your shoulders the same height?
4. Can you draw a straight line down from between your eyes, through the nose, center of your chin, sternum, belly button and down to between your feet?
5. Do your arms hang evenly at your sides? Is there equal space between your arms and body?
6. Do your knee caps face straight ahead?
7. Do your feet point ahead equally? Does one foot flare out more?
Of course there are natural asymmetries that are not significant but if you notice any imbalances from the above observations please check with us to see if it can be corrected. The more you are misaligned the more damage you are doing to your body. Just like a car with misaligned wheels, left unchecked for a long time it can lead to significant wear and tear. Be good to your body and it will return the favor. And if you have any concerns over your alignment, visit your chiropractor in Chicago for a thorough evaluation and, if necessary, treatment to get you “realigned”.